SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES AGREEMENT
LAST UPDATED: August 24, 2020
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN AND READ THE SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES AGREEMENT BELOW.
This Subscription Services Agreement (this "Agreement") governs your use of all digital products and services subscribed to by you from Third Economy, Inc. (“us” or “Third Economy”) including the website Thirdeconomy.com and all content accessed through Thirdeconomy.com (each, a "Service" and collectively the “Services”), subject to the general Terms and Conditions for use of our Services.
To agree to be bound by the terms of this Agreement, check the box indicating your agreement to the terms of this Agreement on the registration page for the Service. If you do not agree to be bound by the terms of this Agreement, you should not check the box but you will not be able to proceed with the registration process for the respective Service and become a subscriber. To the extent you have access to, or are using, a Service without having completed our registration process, you are hereby notified that your continued use of a Service is subject to many of the terms and conditions of this Agreement as explained in Section 7 below.
- Changes to Subscription Services Agreement. We may change the terms of this Agreement at any time by notifying you of the change in writing or electronically (including without limitation, by email or by posting a notice on the Service that the terms have been "updated" or similar words). The changes also will appear in this document, which you can access at any time by going to the Subscription Services Agreement link at the footer of those Services which are made available through our website or to the Legal or Legal Notices area of those Services which are made available as an application. By using a Service after changes are made to this Agreement you signify that you agree to be bound by such changes.
- Fees and Payments. You must be 18 years of age or older to purchase a subscription to the Services or any other content, product, or service offered by us through the Services. If you are less than 18 years of age and want to make any such purchase, please ask your parent or guardian to complete the purchase on your behalf. You agree to pay the subscription fees and any other charges incurred in connection with your account for a Service (including any applicable taxes) at the rates in effect when the charges were incurred. The subscription pricing is as set forth on our Pricing Page and may change with or without notice. The Initial Term of six (6) months cannot be terminated and the Initial Fee (as set forth on the Pricing Page) is non-refundable. Your Monthly Fee will be assessed at the beginning of each month of the Subscription Period, and each Monthly Fee shall be non-refundable. If your subscription includes access to areas containing premium content or services, your access to such areas may be subject to additional fees, terms and conditions, which will be separately disclosed in such areas. All Subscription Fees and other charges as applicable will be billed automatically to your credit card. Subscription fees will be billed at the beginning of your subscription or any renewal. Generally, all fees and charges are non-refundable. We may change the fees and charges then in effect, or add new fees or charges, by giving you notice in advance and an opportunity to cancel. If you want to use a different credit card or you need to update your credit card details, please visit your account page to make changes. If you believe someone has accessed a Service using your user name and password without your authorization, please immediately notify us by calling Customer Service at the phone numbers listed on the Contact Us page of our website, which can be found at the footer of those Services which are made available through our website. You are responsible for any fees or charges incurred to access a Service through an Internet access provider or other Third Party service.
- Term; Cancellation and Renewal. This Agreement shall remain in full force and effect during the Subscription Period and for any additional period that you may access the Services or any content acquired through the Services. The initial subscription period of 6 months (the “Initial Term”) cannot be terminated and the initial subscription fee is non-refundable. Following the Initial Term, your subscription will automatically renew month-to-month (the “Additional Term”) (the Initial Term and Additional Term, the “Subscription Period”). You may cancel anytime during the monthly process, with your termination notice effective during the month in which your subscription is cancelled. Your subscription will renew automatically until it is cancelled in accordance with this Section. For annual subscriptions, we will notify you of the pending renewal of your subscription at least 30 days prior to the date your subscription renews, except as otherwise required by law. For all subscriptions, you must cancel your subscription before it renews in order to avoid billing of subscription fees for the renewal term to your credit card. We may cancel your subscription at any time upon notice to you. You may cancel your subscription by emailing email@example.com.
- Other Policies. By subscribing to a Service, you are subject to our other policies which can be found at any time by clicking the applicable links in the footer of our website. Please read these carefully as they set forth other important matters. We reserve the right to change these policies at any time and you should refer to them frequently to ensure you are aware of current policies.
- Availability of Service through other Platforms; Third Party Payment Services.
6.1 If you access a Service through a mobile application or other type of third party platform, the applicable End User License Agreement for the mobile service through which you downloaded the mobile application may apply in addition to the terms of this Agreement and you agree that you are subject to such application or platform's terms in addition to this Agreement.
- Certain Types of Users; Print Subscriptions.
7.1 Other Subscribers and Users. If your access to a Service is provided by, or through a Third Party (as defined in Section 2 above) some or all of the "Fees and Payments" and "Cancellation and Renewal" terms may not apply to you. Please contact the Third Party, or our Customer Service department for details. If you access a Service without paying or registering (e.g., as part of a free trial), you are hereby notified that all of the terms and conditions of this Subscription Services Agreement, except the sections labeled "Fees and Payments" and "Cancellation and Renewal," apply to your use and access of the Service.
- Limitations on Use.
8.1 Only one individual may access a Service at the same time using the same user name or password.
8.2 The text, graphics, images, video, artwork, metadata and other data, design, organization, compilation, look and feel, advertising and all other protectable intellectual property, including but not limited to any copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade names, trade dress, patent rights, or database rights (the "Content") available through the Services are our property or the property of our advertisers and licensors and are protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws. Unless you have our written consent, you may not use, sell, publish, distribute, retransmit or otherwise provide access to the Content received through the Services to anyone, including, if applicable, your fellow students or employees.
8.3 Additional Restrictions on Use of the Content.
8.3.1 You agree not to rearrange or modify the Content available through any Service. You agree not to display, post, frame, or scrape the Content for use on another web site, app, blog, product or service, except as otherwise expressly permitted by this Agreement. You agree not to create any derivative work based on or containing the Content. The framing or scraping of or in-line linking to the Services or any Content contained thereon and/or the use of webcrawler, spidering or other automated means to access, copy, index, process and/or store any Content made available on or through the Services other than as expressly authorized by us is prohibited.
8.3.2 You further agree to abide by exclusionary protocols (e.g., Robots.txt, Automated Content Access Protocol (ACAP), etc.) that may be used in connection with the Services. You may not access parts of the Services to which you are not authorized, or attempt to circumvent any restrictions imposed on your use or access of the Services.
8.3.3 As a general rule, you may not use the Content, including without limitation, any Content made available through one of our RSS Feeds, in any commercial product or service, without our express written consent.
8.3.4 You may not create apps, extensions, or other products and services that use our Content without our permission. You may not aggregate or otherwise use our Content in a manner that could reasonably serve as a substitute for a subscription to a Service.
8.3.5 Any unauthorized or prohibited use of any Content may subject you to civil liability, criminal prosecution, or both, under applicable federal, state, local laws, or applicable foreign laws, rules, regulations and treaties. We require users to respect our copyrights, trademarks, and other intellectual property rights and shall enforce same.
8.4 You agree not to use the Services for any unlawful purpose. We reserve the right to terminate or restrict your access to a Service if, in our opinion, your use of the Service may violate any laws, regulations or rulings, infringe upon another person's rights or violate the terms of this Agreement.
- User Name. When you post comments on certain areas of the Services, we will display those comments alongside your user name from your subscription account. It is your responsibility to choose your password wisely. If you have concerns or believe that someone is using your password without your authority, please contact Customer Service. We reserve the right to disclose any information about you, including registration data, in order to comply with any applicable laws and/or requests under legal process, to operate our systems properly, to protect our property or rights, and to safeguard the interests of others.
- Contest and Promotions. From time to time, we may conduct promotions and other activities on, through or in connection with one or more the Services, including, without limitation, contests and sweepstakes (collectively, "Promotions"). Each Promotion may have Additional Terms and/or Rules or eligibility requirements which shall be posted or otherwise made available to you in connection therewith in accordance with applicable law.
- DISCLAIMERS OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITATIONS ON LIABILITY. YOU AGREE THAT YOUR ACCESS TO, AND USE OF, THE SERVICES AND THE CONTENT, TOOLS, PRIZES AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICES IS ON AN "AS-IS", "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS AND WE SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. WE DO NOT GIVE TAX OR INVESTMENT ADVICE OR ADVOCATE THE PURCHASE OR SALE OF ANY SECURITY OR INVESTMENT. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ASSISTANCE OF A PROFESSIONAL FOR TAX AND INVESTMENT ADVICE. THIRD ECONOMY, INC. AND ITS AFFILIATES AND ITS RESPECTIVE SHAREHOLDERS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, ADVERTISERS, CONTENT PROVIDERS AND LICENSORS ("THE THIRD ECONOMY PARTIES") WILL NOT BE LIABLE (JOINTLY OR SEVERALLY) TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON AS A RESULT OF YOUR ACCESS OR USE OF THE SERVICES OR SUCH CONTENT, TOOLS, OR PRIZES FOR INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOST PROFITS, LOST SAVINGS AND LOST REVENUES (COLLECTIVELY, THE "EXCLUDED DAMAGES"), WHETHER OR NOT CHARACTERIZED IN NEGLIGENCE, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHER THEORY OF LIABILITY, EVEN IF ANY OF THE DOW JONES PARTIES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF OR COULD HAVE FORESEEN ANY OF THE EXCLUDED DAMAGES, AND IRRESPECTIVE OF ANY FAILURE OF AN ESSENTIAL PURPOSE OF A LIMITED REMEDY. IF ANY APPLICABLE AUTHORITY HOLDS ANY PORTION OF THIS SECTION TO BE UNENFORCEABLE, THEN THE THIRD ECONOMY PARTIES' LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE FULLEST POSSIBLE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
- Agreement to Arbitrate.
13.1 The parties acknowledge that any statutory or common law claims related to intellectual property may require forms of equitable relief that are best administered by courts; accordingly, the parties agree that except for statutory or common law claims related to intellectual property and disputes that qualify for small claims court, any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to this Agreement or any aspect of the relationship between us, whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation or any other legal theory, will be resolved by arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association ("AAA") in accordance with its Commercial Arbitration Rules and the Supplementary Procedures for Consumer Related Disputes. Judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any federal or state court of competent jurisdiction located in the County of New York in the State of New York. For more information about arbitration, the AAA and the arbitration process, please consult the American Arbitration Association web site at adr.org. You agree that by entering into this Agreement, you and we are each waiving the right to trial by jury, except as otherwise stated above. Any arbitration under this Agreement will take place on an individual basis; class arbitrations and class actions are not permitted and, by entering into this Agreement, you are giving up the ability to participate in a class action. All issues are for the arbitrator to decide, except that issues relating to the scope, application, and enforceability of the arbitration provision are for the court to decide. As stated in Section 14 below, New York law applies to any arbitration under this section, but the parties acknowledge that the Federal Arbitration Act governs the interpretation and enforcement of this provision. This agreement to arbitrate shall survive termination of this Agreement. This arbitration agreement does not preclude you from bringing issues to the attention of federal, state, or local agencies, and, if the law allows, they can seek relief against us for you.
13.2 Unless you and we agree otherwise, the arbitration will take place either in the subscriber's county of principal residence or the County of Los Angeles in the State of California. For claims of $14,000 or less, you can choose whether you would like arbitration carried out based only on documents submitted to the arbitrator, or by a hearing in person, or by phone.
13.3 The arbitrator may award money or equitable relief in favor of only the individual party seeking relief and only to the extent necessary to provide relief warranted by that party's individual claim. To reduce the time and expense of the arbitration, the arbitrator will not provide a statement of reasons for his or her award unless requested to do so by both parties. Unless both you and we agree otherwise, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person's claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of a representative or class proceeding.
- General. This Agreement contains the final and entire agreement between us regarding your use of the Services and supersedes all previous and contemporaneous oral or written agreements regarding your use of the Services. We may discontinue or change the Services, or their availability to you, at any time. This Agreement is personal to you, which means that you may not assign your rights or obligations under this Agreement to anyone. No third party is a beneficiary of this Agreement. You agree that this Agreement, as well as any and all claims arising from this Agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, United States of America, without regard to any conflict or choice of law principles. For all litigation which may be brought, subject to the requirements for arbitration hereunder, with respect to any controversy or claim, arising out of or relating to this Agreement or any relationship between us, the sole jurisdiction and venue for such litigation will be an appropriate federal or state court located in the County of Los Angeles in the State of California. Our failure to enforce any provision of this Agreement or to respond to a breach by you or other parties of this Agreement shall not in any way waive our rights to subsequently enforce any term or condition of this Agreement. This Agreement will not be governed by the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods.